10 Oct Tips to Prep Your Car for Winter!
Commuting in the winter can be dangerous already, so prepare by making sure your car is running well! Whether you own a small car or a huge truck, find the best repair options for your vehicle with an auto mechanic you can trust. Some may require more maintenance than others, but as long as you prepare now, you will be set for the cold, winter season. None of us want to be stuck on the side of the road, especially when it’s freezing outside! Here are some easy ways to prep your car for winter, regardless of where you live.
- Get winter tires! Winter tires are a great option to purchase for this coming season! They provide a rubber compound that stays pliable in cold weather. It will give you better control if you need to maneuver quickly to avoid an accident. If you are not that interested in purchasing new tires, at least keep a spare tire just in case you get a flat. Find a local auto mechanic to provide you with winter tire options and more.
- Test your car battery! Check your car battery to see if it’s going bad or won’t keep a charge. This step will keep your car running and safe for the cold season ahead! If you do not know how to do so, have your local auto mechanic show you how it’s done. To avoid having to jump your car, get this checked beforehand, and you will be set!
- Have a car emergency set on hand! Create your own kit of necessities if you were to have issues with your vehicle and get stranded. Even though this may seem uncommon to happen to you, you never know! Better to be safe than sorry! Here are some great items to start an emergency car kit:
-Flashlight with batteries
-Extra USB cable
-Food and water
-Backup jumper cables
- Check up on your engine! Before the winter season comes around, make sure to have your local auto mechanic check your engine’s health. Another great thing to do is check the levels of your antifreeze and engine coolant. Good levels of these will keep your engine from freezing up!
- Check your tire pressure and tread depth! Maintaining your vehicle’s tires is key to staying safe on the road. Simply check the tire pressure level, and fill them up if needed! You can also bring your vehicle to a local auto mechanic to check your tires’ tread depth. If you’d rather do it yourself, try the Lincoln test! Insert a penny into one of the treads of your tire, with the top of Lincoln’s head pointing inward toward the tire. If you can see his head, you want to make sure and replace your vehicle’s tires before winter starts!
- Get a roadside assistance membership! If you live in a place like Colorado, with tons of snowfall, this will really help with your safety! There may be a situation you can’t get out of, with no one who is close to call. Having this roadside assistance will make you feel safe and secure throughout your entire winter season.
This is a good starter guide to help you prep for the winter season! The best thing to do if you have any questions is to talk to your local auto mechanic! We at Harris Automotive are here for you if you live near the Columbus, Ohio area. Visit our shop for any of your winter prep needs!